Monday, July 31, 2006

Collateral Damage

The only difference between "collateral damage" and "terrorism" seems to be the nationality of the person pushing the button.

It seems to be okay to kill people and blow up their homes as part of "collateral damage" just as long as it happens somewhere in the developing world or in a country which cannot fight back. I'd like to see the same thing happen in a so called "civilized" nation. I'd also like to see a Western city being told "...Get out now because we are going to blow up the city with tanks, helicopters and planes to flush out the terrorists. But don't worry, we'll pay you to fix it once we are done..."

The BBC published graphic photos of the bombing at Qana, including a picture of two dead children being carried away. This is the first time I've seen such kind of pictures being published. The pictures didn't exactly make it to the headline story, but its a start. Maybe if they keep publishing these kinds of photos (Lebanon as well as Iraq), people might start seeing some sense.

8 Comments:

Blogger second_wind said...

I agree...the value given to lives lost seems to be directly proportional to how powerful/rich you are.A single American life lost manages to raise a big hue and cry....collateral damage indeed!!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Anu Russell said...

The whole current middle-east situation hardly makes any sense. Why fight and kill the innocent? Can't we just discuss such issues? Wasn't the UN formed to moderate/mediate such issues? WTF are they doing? I saw the Annan interview and really wanted to tell him some few choice words...

11:47 AM  
Blogger chérie said...

I hear you. I sometimes wonder where this civilization is headed. All we hear is bad news about bombing, hate crime, extremism and fundamentalism. Is there an end to all this OR is the end the elimination of mankind???

1:08 PM  
Blogger Crouching Tigress said...

Hmmm. I concur.

3:31 PM  
Blogger methinks said...

and you don't intend to write about anything else? ever again?

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with the silence, Mister Fosix? Have the terrorists got to you now?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Fosix said...

@the regulars
yeah, this whole thing sucks...

@rosa not so rose
apparently you underestimate my laziness... my next post is a good 3/4 weeks away... :)

@anon
do you have a name?
btw, i've answered your question in my reply to rosa(nsr)

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, whats in a name?

Here's a deal, on your next post which is a month away, I will reveal my identity!

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home